Timeless Old School Love Songs

Looking for some classic, Old School R&B songs for your wedding? We've gathered the best R&B love songs from the 70s and 80s to help you find the perfect soundtrack for your special day.

R&B Love Songs from the 70s


Heatwave: Always and Forever
You can never go wrong with "Always and Forever" as an R&B wedding song. Everyone knows it. Everyone loves it.



Luther Vandross and the R&B group Whistle each recorded their own versions of this classic in the 90's.

Standout lyric: "Always and forever, each moment with you
Is just like a dream to me, that somehow came true."




70's R&B Wedding Ceremony Songs

Starting off, here are some first dance songs and other great R&B love songs from the 1970's.

These songs are classics, so don't worry about them sounding dated. They stand the test of time. Many of them have been remade since the originals, or parts of them co-opted in new songs.

Even if you weren't born yet, you probably know many of these: Everybody knows "You and I" from Thelma's wedding episode on Good Times (and remade by O'Bryan in the 80′s). We all know President Obama's favorite, "Let's Stay Together." And I can't hear "Always & Forever" without thinking of Martin Lawrence in House Party, singing it (off key) to a girl while they slow danced.

The late, great Whitney Houston offered her own interpretation of "Living for the Love" by the Isley Brothers in the late 80′s, and you're likely to hear that song at party nowadays when the DJ slows it down. Donny Hathaway's "A Song for You" has to be the most covered song from the era.

Now presenting your soulful love songs from the 70′s:


Natalie Cole: Inseparable
Natalie Cole: Our Love (later remade by Mary J. Blige)
Gladys Knight & The Pips: Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me
The Isley Brothers: (Living) For the Love of You
Stevie Wonder: You and I (We Can Conquer the World) [as sung by Michael on Good Times at Thelma's wedding]
Cameo: Sparkle
Peabo Bryson: I'm So Into You
The O'Jays: Loving You
The O'Jays: I Swear, I Love No One But You
Earth, Wind, and Fire: Love's Holiday
Earth, Wind and Fire: I'll Write a Song for You
GQ: I Do Love You (Billy Stewart remake)
Al Green: Let's Stay Together
Al Green: I'm Still in Love With You
The Commodores: Three Times a Lady
Barry White: Just the Way You Are (Billy Joel remake)
Roberta Flack: First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway: The Closer I Get to You
Donny Hathaway: You Were Meant for Me
Donny Hathaway: A Song for You (Leon Russell remake)
Heatwave: Always and Forever
LTD: Love Ballad (What we have is much more than they could see)
Patti LaBelle: You Are My Friend
Stevie Wonder: As (aka Always). It's not a ballad, but has beautiful lyrics.
Minnie Riperton: Lovin' You

Find R&B Wedding songs from the 1970′s on iTunes:
Old School Wedding Songs 70s iTunes logo

Minnie Riperton: Lovin' You

"Lovin' You" needs no introduction. It's been remade, remixed, spoofed, sampled, and used in commercials and movies, and it's now part of American pop culture. Minnie Riperton truly had the voice of angel.

Standout lyric: "Loving you is easy 'cause you're beautiful."



There are lots of different styles that define the 80′s. Disco / Funk was in its final throes. Contemporary jazz was getting lots of airplay. And there were all kinds of Soul singers with vocals ranging from gruff, to silky smooth. The 80's were also all about the "Power Ballad." The wedding playlist below includes the futuristic sound of Zapp & Roger, lots of classic duets, soulful divas like Anita Baker, Regina Belle, and Whitney Houston, and Soul Men like Luther Vandross and Stevie Wonder.


80's Black Wedding Songs


O'Bryan: You and I
Originally written and performed by Stevie Wonder, this song was immortalized as an R&B wedding song when Michael sang it at Thelma's wedding on the TV sitcom Good Times.

O'Bryan did a remake with his own unique spin, and his version of "You and I" has been a popular R and B Wedding song since the 80's. It was sung at the first wedding I ever went to as a kid, and it's still one of my favorites.



80's R&B Wedding Song List

Atlantic Star: Always
Zapp & Roger: I Wanna Be Your Man
The Four Tops: I Believe in You and Me
Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson: Tonight, I Celebrate My Love
Keith Sweat: Make It Last Forever



}

Anita Baker
Sweet Love
Giving You the Best that I Got
You're the Best Thing Yet

Luther Vandross
So Amazing
There's Nothing Better Than Love (feat. Gregory Hines)
If This World Were Mine w/Cheryl Lynn (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell remake)

Debra Laws feat. Ronnie Laws: Very Special
Teena Marie: Can It Be Love
Freddie Jackson: You Are My Lady
Larry Graham: One in a Million
Larry Graham: Just Be My Lady
Larry Graham: When We Get Married
O’Bryan: You and I
O’Bryan: Lady I Love You
Johnny Gill and Stacy Lattisaw: Perfect Combination
New Edition: Helplessly In Love
Rockie Robbins: You and Me (Together Forever)
Bill Withers & Grover Washington, Jr. : Just the Two of Us
Stevie Wonder: Ribbon in the Sky
Stevie Wonder: Overjoyed
Stevie Wonder: These Three Words
DeBarge: All This Love
Michael Jackson: The Lady in my Life
Michael Jackson: I Just Can’t Stop Loving You
Angela Bofill: Tonight I Give In (Somebody Walked Into my Life)
Diana Ross and Lionel Richie: Endless Love
Shalamar: This is for The Lover in You
Lionel Richie: Truly
Jeffrey Osborne: On the Wings of Love
Jeffrey Osborne: We’re Going All the Way
Whitney Houston: You Give Good Love
Whitney Houston and Jermaine Jackson: If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful
Patti LaBelle: Love, Need, and Want You
Prince: Adore (although the lyrics in the verses are kind of racy)
Regina Belle: This Is Love
Regina Belle and James JT Taylor : All I Want Is Forever
New Edition: Can You Stand the Rain
Taylor Dayne: I'll Always Love You


Whitney Houston: You Give Good Love

"You Give Good Love" was her very first single, and is still my absolute favorite Whitney Houston song ever.

Standout lyric: "Our love is here to stay, to STAAAAAY!" Sing it, Whit.



Find R&B Wedding songs from the 1980′s on iTunes:
Old School Wedding Songs 80s iTunes logo

Comments